Oct. 5 is Deadline to Submit MIPS Targeted Review Requests
If you participated in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) in 2019, your performance feedback, including your MIPS final score and payment adjustment factor(s), is now available for review on the Quality Payment Program website.
This final score determines the payment adjustment you will receive in 2021, with a positive, negative, or neutral payment adjustment being applied to the Medicare paid amount for covered professional services furnished by a MIPS eligible clinician in 2021.
MIPS eligible clinicians, groups, and virtual groups (along with their designated support staff or authorized third-party intermediary), including APM participants, may request the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to review the calculation of their 2020 MIPS payment adjustment factor(s) through a process called a targeted review. The deadline to submit your request is Oct. 5, 2020, at 8 p.m. (EDT) – which is a few weeks away.
When to Request a Targeted Review
If you believe an error has been made in your MIPS payment adjustment factor(s) calculation, you can request a targeted review until Oct. 5, 2020, at 8 p.m. (EDT). Some examples of previously targeted review circumstances include the following:
- Errors or data quality issues for the measures and activities you submitted
- Eligibility and special status issues (e.g., you fall below the low-volume threshold and should not have received a payment adjustment)
- Being erroneously excluded from the APM participation list and not being scored under the APM Scoring Standard
- Performance categories were not automatically reweighted even though you qualify for automatic reweighting due to extreme and uncontrollable circumstances
Note: This is not a comprehensive list of circumstances. CMS encourages you to submit a request form if you believe a targeted review of your MIPS payment adjustment factor (or additional MIPS payment adjustment factor, if applicable) is warranted.
How to Request a Targeted Review
You can access your MIPS final score and performance feedback and request a targeted review by:
- Going to the Quality Payment Program website
- Logging in using your HCQIS Access Roles and Profile System (HARP) credentials; these are the same credentials that allowed you to submit your MIPS data. Please refer to the QPP Access Guide for additional details.
CMS may require documentation to support a targeted review request that is under our evaluation. If the targeted review request is approved, we may update your final score and/or associated payment adjustment (if applicable), as soon as technically feasible. Please note that targeted review decisions are final and not eligible for further review.
For more information about how to request a targeted review, please refer to the 2019 Targeted Review User Guide.
Contact the Quality Payment Program at 1-866-288-8292 or by e-mail at QPP@cms.hhs.gov. To receive assistance more quickly, please consider calling during non-peak hours—before 10:00 a.m. and after 2:00 p.m. ET.
- Customers who are hearing impaired can dial 711 to be connected to a TRS Communications Assistant.